Feb 24, 2022Mental Health Tools to Bolster Athletic Facilities
The IHRSA Foundation has developed two new resources to assist health and fitness facilities when designing initiatives and programs to address consumer mental health and well-being.
The IHRSA Foundation created the following resources thanks to a generous grant from the John W. Brick Mental Health Foundation:
- Supporting Mental Health & Well-being: A Toolkit for Health & Fitness Centers
- Perspectives on Supporting Mental Health & Well-being in Health & Fitness Facilities: A Survey of Fitness Professionals
Although it is not a new concern, the COVID-19 pandemic has increased public awareness and the need to address ways to combat mental health problems. One in five U.S. adults and one in six European adults suffer from a mental well-being issue.
The COVID-19 pandemic has increased stress, anxiety, depression, and other behavioral health issues that have some arguing that the next global pandemic may be poor mental health. Consumer demand for resources and programs is increasing, and the health and fitness industry has a significant opportunity to provide solutions.
“Health clubs, gyms, and studios have a crucial role to play in supporting mental health and well-being—evidence shows the benefits of physical activity for overall well-being,” said IHRSA President & CEO Liz Clark. “Our industry is always looking for new ways to strengthen ties in the medical community and to welcome more people into fitness centers. The IHRSA Foundation is excited to provide club operators with resources to address this important topic with the support of the John W. Brick Mental Health Foundation.”
The IHRSA Foundation resources discuss:
- Opportunities for the fitness industry to address overall mental well-being,
- Current knowledge, attitudes, and awareness among fitness industry professionals about mental health and the benefits of exercise,
- Evidence on the benefits of exercise for general well-being and clinical and subclinical conditions, and
- Examples of fitness industry leaders addressing these topics in their clubs, programs, and studios with advice for other operators.
The two new resources are available to download on ihrsafoundation.org.
About IHRSA Foundation
The IHRSA Foundation was established in 2012 as a 501(c)(3) charitable organization with the goal to promote health through exercise. Its purpose is to support the charitable and educational functions of IHRSA, the Global Health & Fitness Association.
The IHRSA Foundation focuses on four key areas to support and promote physical activity, wellness, and health promotion: programs, research, education, and engagement. Learn more about the IHRSA Foundation at ihrsafoundation.org.