Oct 18, 2021Strength & Conditioning Opening at Cape Breton
Cape Breton University (CBU) invites applications for the position of High-Performance Strength and Conditioning Coach. This is a full-time Limited Term position.
The successful candidate will develop and deliver appropriate strength and conditioning sessions with student-athletes on the varsity (Men’s & Women’s Soccer, Men’s & Women’s Basketball, Track & Field) and club (Women’s Hockey, Men’s Rugby) teams and work with the Cape Breton Eagles Hockey Team, a member of the Canadian Hockey League. In addition, the successful candidate will work with Canadian Sport Centre Atlantic to help develop youth athletes on Cape Breton Island.
Applications must be received by October 22nd, 2021.
Specific Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and deliver appropriate strength and conditioning training sessions/programs to the various CBU varsity (5), club teams (2), and Cape Breton Eagles hockey team.
- Collaborate with head coaches and high-performance staff in determining the strength and conditioning relevant performance metrics.
- Track athlete data and generate reports to the coaching staff.
- Provide year-round sport-specific training programs using the most up-to-date scientific knowledge and methodology.
- Deliver testing and training to identified Canadian Sport Centre Atlantic (CSCA) athletes.
- Take the lead in the design, management, and scheduling of the High-Performance Centre (strength and conditioning space).
- Contribute to maintaining a professional, clean, and organized strength and conditioning facility.
- Maintain and improve the high standards set by the CBU Athletic Department.
- Inspire high performance ethically in support of the Canadian Anti-Doping program.
- Work collaboratively with varsity and club head coaches, professional general managers and head coaches, physiotherapy staff, high-performance staff of various provincial sport organizations, academic staff, and external organizations.
- Travel is expected with in-season teams.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Desired qualifications and skills include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Kinetics, Kinesiology, Sport Science, or related field.
- NSCA – Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS).
- Must be a reliable individual possessing strong communication and motivational skills.
- Current CPR and First Aid certification.
- Experience working with USports level athletes or greater.
- Experience and leadership skills working in a University or group environment.
- Experience developing and delivering strength and conditioning programs.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Ability to adjust to a changing environment, work under stress, and meet deadlines.
Cape Breton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply but applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
To view the full job description and to apply, click here.